There's Been A Death In The House

Not at the opposite house... not at my house... but at my Yeh Yeh's house...

He passed away peacefully last Friday, 12th of August 2011, age 83.

My yeh yeh was famous for his story telling. During family reunions, he would always repeat the same short stories or jokes. He usually told his stories and jokes in Cantonese and a little bit of other languages such as Malay. My father would always ask me to write them down or record it the next time he told it, but i thought it was unnecessary and i was feeling bored of the same old jokes since i've heard them umpteen times.

Now, even if i want to hear it for another time, i cannot. I regret for not listening to my father, it's too late now, my yeh yeh's gone.

My yeh yeh taught me many things when i was little. I used to stay with them(my mah mah and ku cheh) during the holidays(because i was such a nuisance at home that my parents decided to "buang negeri" me). He taught me Chinese calligraphy, taught me origami(he was very good at making grasshoppers), and i still remembered how to count in Tamil thanks to him.

I still remembered how he loved to sit on his rocking chair just outside the house, sometimes reading the chinese newspaper, or taking a puff on his cigarette.

I still remembered when he was strong enough to ride his bicycle to the coffeeshop to have his breakfast. He had a one-of-a-kind, ancient bicycle which only he could ride since he was 6 feet. I wonder where is his bicycle now, probably in a museum somewhere for display.

One of his favourite hobbies is bending the bonsais into Chinese characters.

This is "shou"or 寿, which means longevity

Wish he could have lived longer, but i guess life is too short.

We will always remember you, deep in our hearts.

May you be reborn in a higher plane and may you rest in peace, yeh yeh.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Xcite! Xperience! GO Xcel!!

Them Housemates

Musicality