Expensive Lesson Learnt

9th Apr
Today I learnt an expensive and very important lesson.
It seems that this lesson is never ending and I am still trying learning from it.
I lose keys before, I lose my wallet before, I forget to do certain things, I have always landed myself in difficult situations due to my unmindfulness, which my mother always nags me about.

I slept late that night and in the morning I was groggy and half awake.
Knowing I had to take a train to Manchester that morning, I reminded myself the night before to bring along my railcard.
As soon as I printed out my train ticket at the train station, I only remembered why the train ticket was so cheap, I used my railcard to purchase the ticket and I only realised that I had forgotten to bring it along.
I thought: "Don't worry Eugene, it is not much of a big deal, probably you would just have to pay the difference, nothing much.". Hence, continued walking to my platform and boarded the train.

I searched for my seat and sat in it. Had my breakfast of chocolate croissants and milk which I bought from Tesco before entering the train station.

Soon, I could hear the train operator approaching, asking for tickets and railcards from the passengers.
I took out my tickets and my wallet, anticipating the fine, waiting for his presence.

I showed him my ticket and told him I had forgotten to bring my railcard.
He says in that case he will be charging me a penalty.
I said: "How much is the penalty?".
He whipped out his ticketing gadget and continue to tap some buttons on the screen before giving me the shock of my life.
"You would have to pay a total of £46."
It hit me hard, I started wondering: "There goes this weeks groceries fee and the good food that I would like to indulge myself in for the week."
"How come? How did you work out that price?"
"Well, £20 for the penalty of not producing a railcard..."
"Yeah I forgotten to bring it, it's not like I didn't do it on purpose."
"... and another £26 for a new ticket to Manchester. That works out to £46 in total."
"What if I don't have that money? I only have like... £30 in my wallet right now."
I showed him the money in my wallet and was such a dumbass smartypants to accidentally expose my credit and debit card.
"In that case, this time I would only issue you a warning this time..."
phew, what a relief!
"... but you would still have to pay a certain amount."
Fuck Damn it, "How much?"
He proceeded to print out a new ticket.
"So would you be paying in cash or credit?"
I saw the price on the ticket, £39. Ouch.
I gloomily took out my debit card and inserted it into another gadget he produced from his sidepocket.
"So can I still use this ticket on my way back to Nottingham?"
He said I would just have to speak to the ticketing officer at Manchester station and they would sort that out for me.

After a whole day at Manchester(will post about the stadium tour in the next update), it was time to head home to Nottingham. I went to the ticketing counter and told the lady I wanted to ACCESS my ticket like how the train operator told me to.
She clicked a little here and there, and told me: "You need to buy another ticket which would cost you £21."
"I thought I just have to access the card because I already paid the fine? That was what your colleague told me on the train!"
"No, no, if you buy this ticket and pay another...", continue to ramble on but I wasn't in the mood to care as I had to fork out more money to buy another ticket. That lady had this "I-don't-give-a-fuck" face and it reminded me of some people back in Malaysia with that same face who works at a counter.

I paid for my new ticket and headed to the platform.

In total, I spent almost £70 for a return ticket to Manchester, in which I have accounted for the £10 ticket I bought online.

During the train ride, I kept blaming myself for being so unmindful, I had to change my "tidak-apa" attitude, my carefree and easy-going attitude.
"Good job Eugene, you did it again! Well done! Marvellous! Are you happy now?!"

I decided to punish myself and I have deleted Dota2 from my PC. It is difficult, because it has become an addiction just like people who smoke. Once you start, it becomes a routine and it was difficult to stop.

For the sake of my wellbeing, for the sake of becoming a better person, FOR THE SAKE OF MANKIND, I will stop playing this game(probably in the meantime XD).

I am ashamed of myself. . .

I wanted to write this  as a diary post but changed my mind and made it public to teach myself a lesson.
I have also learnt to use the "Strikethrough" function on blogger today.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Xcite! Xperience! GO Xcel!!

Musicality

Them Housemates