United KINGdom

The first time I heard of the UK was when I was just a little kid.

I saw the Queen from the Mr. Bean series. I asked my parents, "where did the Queen come from?"
They would reply :"England...or UK..."
"UK? What's UK?"
My eldest brother would say, "Ulu Klang! Haha~"
"Huh? Where is that?"

Ulu Klang is just another town somewhere in the Klang Valley.

Me, being an ignorant kid, I didn't even know where Klang was, despite being there countless times for Bak Kut Teh. I only remembered when the food was served, I was like a hungry hyena whom has not eaten for days and would immediately start walloping the pork bones and pork intestines.

In a few weeks time, I would be leaving Malaysia for Nottingham, UK to continue my Third Year in Chemical with Environmental Engineering. Took part in the exchange programme where we would be having a chance to experience the study environment and lifestyle in the UK campus for two whole semesters.

The thought of leaving Malaysia for UK is just so exciting. At the same time, it feels like I would be away from Malaysia for a long long holiday instead of study, albeit I would be there only till June or so. I will definitely take many pictures and hopefully upload in and update this blog of mine.

The scene of me leaving Malaysia has been playing around in my mind repeatedly. Me at the airport with the other coursemates, holding our luggages, exchanging goodbyes and wishes. I knew what I wanted to say to my friends and family before I leave. I'll be expecting lots of surprises on that day, it is going to be a special day. . .

I will miss Chinese New Year, I will miss the mamaks, I will miss the hot weather when I start getting used to the chill climate, I will miss my friends and family, I will miss home. . .
I better enjoy my few weeks left here in Malaysia. Since I am ALMOST OFFICIALLY done with my internship, I would have more time to spend packing or savouring our Malaysian food.


I am really grateful and appreciative that I am able to study at the UK, nonetheless even in a university. When people ask me where and what am I studying, I tell them NOTTINGHAM university, studying Chemical with Environmental Engineering(I usually leave out the environmental part because it sounds so long and complicated). Their eyes glow, they look at you differently. Some people couldn't even afford tertiary education because it is so expensive! I am labelled RICH, or RICH KID's SON... Never really liked it, I want to be same like the rest, I do not want to stand out of the crowd.

Therefore, should my parents ask me what do I want for my birthday, I would tell them:"My education is the most expensive gift ever!", (well so far?).

Comments

payherng said…
I like the idea that how much you appreciate your school fee as a gift from parents. :) Forget me not in UK! ;)
~Eugene K~ said…
Thanks. I would never forget you, don't worry. We'd still meet each other during our last year :D

Popular posts from this blog

Xcite! Xperience! GO Xcel!!

Musicality

Them Housemates