The Mikado



A Long long time ago, Once upon a time, Last year, there was a new module under the Nottingham Advantage Award - Literature In Action. I have decided to take this module because it contained a society/club activity I have always wanted available at my university - Drama Club (the other sub-societies were Book Reading and Writing).

I attended the first few sessions and really enjoyed myself. I was always looking forward to the next session.

I also got to know the head of the drama club - Dr. Derek.
He is an extremely funny guy, found out that he was Canadian, and that reminded me of Colin Mochrie from Whose Line Is It Anyway.

During the second session, Dr. Sergio joined us and told us that a musical is to be held in the coming February or March, in collaboration with the Japanese Society.

After hearing the news, it didn't strike my interest to take part in the musical because it didn't hit me that our university(well, just the Malaysian Campus) has never organised a musical before. Besides, the musical will be organised together with the Japanese Society. So I thought it was going to be "just another" activity held by them. Don't get me wrong, I don't have anything against the Japanese Society, it was just my perception. I really like "Japanese", if you know what I mean...

I didn't think much about The Mikado until after Chinese New Year, mid February.
I received emails regarding the call for auditions, but I didn't really bother about it, I was so busy with my Design Project, every other matter seems so dull and uninteresting. In fact, I was really stressed with my design project for I didn't know what I was doing and how to complete it. I think I did it quite badly...

The email read: "Final auditions for The Mikado. Looking for actors/singers and musicians."

So I thought, since they are desperate for actors/singers, why not take a chance? Who knows, maybe they will be so desperate for actors and singers that I will be chosen!

I searched for the lyrics of the song I auditioned last year during my time at the UK campus. I decided to sing "This Is The Moment" from the musical Jekyll and Hyde.

I rehearsed a few times, quietly of course, in my room. I thought of the actions I was going to make. 
My brother was wondering what in the world was happening to me, suddenly singing musical songs like nobodies' business. So I told him I was going for an audition, but I didn't tell anybody else.

Come the day of audition, I arrived at the venue, feeling relatively calm, I wasn't feeling nervous at all.
Before that, I got to know one of my coursemate, Matthew was going to attend the audition too.
I felt so relieved that there would be somebody to accompany me.
We wrote down our names on the list:"Singers/Actors" and I was first on the list, while Matthew, second.

Next thing I know, I was alone in the audition room with 3 other people(the two directors: Dr. Sergio, Mr. Luiz, and Dr Derek).
My hands and feet started to freeze, I was sweating a little even in an air-conditioned room.
They questioned me a little.
"Have you had any experience in singing or acting?"
"Well maybe just school plays and a little acting during drama sessions at my English tuition(AceEdventure, google it!)
"What will you be singing for us today?"
"I will be singing 'This Is The Moment' from the musical Jekyll and Hyde"
"Well then, you may begin whenever you wish to."
I cleared my throat, swallowed a few gulps of saliva, then started sitting down on the floor.
YES, I kid you not, it was part of the act.

Whenever I was rehearsing that song, I always sang it softly, I was always holding back my voice, afraid that others will hear me sing, I wasn't confident of myself.
During the auditions, I gave my all.
I was singing my heart out, it really was THE MOMENT.

I finished after the first verse and chorus of the song, then just stood there, finally looking the judges in the eyes, and awaited their response.
They were whispering to each other, nodding a little.
That's a good sign I suppose.
They told me they will notify me about the callbacks in a few days time.
Still shivering, I thanked them, and walked out of the room.

I breathed a sigh of relief.
Matthew asked me how was it, I told him it was all good, I also thought I did pretty well.
He told me he was going to play the guitar and sing a church song.
I wished him good luck, he went next.

The next day, I received an email, I got the callbacks! Matthew too!
We were supposed to rehearse a few lines and a song from the play depending on the voice range we chose.
I was always a Tenor, but I still wasn't confident of myself, hence I chose the Baritone part.

During the callback session, I told them I was going to sing the Baritone part.
Luiz was shocked, he repeated a few times:"Are you serious? Are you serious?", laughing while he said it.
I said:"Yeah, why not?"
"How long did you rehearsed this part?"
"A couple of hours, 2 hours I think.". I was lying, I was at the lab the whole day, I didn't have time to practise.
I only went through the lines and song an hour before the session.

He introduced me to Noel, the Head of Choir(who later became Nanki-Poo), told him to teach me the Tenor's song.
We went out of the room, and then practised singing the song for 10 minutes.
I was requested to sing that song afterwards.
I struggled a little, I have never heard that song before and was required to sing after practising for just 10 minutes.

I went back in, sang the song(horribly), and then proceeded with a bit of acting.
Mr Luiz did a little vocal check with me by asking me to sing the low notes until the high notes.
After that, like before, Dr Sergio said that choosing was difficult, no guarantee, blah blah blah...

A few days later, I received an email from Dr. Sergio regarding an offer.
I was offered a role as an "On Stage Ensemble".
At first, I didn't really know what it meant, until it hit me. Keh-Leh-Fei(side casts)!
Matthew was eager to know my results, I told him about the offer, while he told me he has gotten the Pish-Tush role. I congratulated him of course, he was part of the principals.
So I thought, since I was busy with my project, being a side cast is not that bad anyway, at least I get to be in a musical.
I replied Dr. Sergio and accepted the offer.

Initially, he asked me to join the Choir.
Then, he thought of a brilliant idea, why not make Pish-Tush a two actor role?
He has decided to make me part of the principals, I was going to play Pish, while Matthew plays Tush!
We had the idea of finishing each others' sentences, we were like Ogre Magi from Dota 2, 2 heads conjoined in a body.

Everyday, I was looking forward to 5pm, that's when the rehearsal starts. Before that, I would be at the lab since morning with my labmates, conducting experiments. 5pm was like my ticket to escape the lab, to escape from reality.
We would have rehearsals from 5pm(sometimes earlier) until probably 9 ~ 9.30pm.
That is the only time I actually went through my lines and songs with Matthew.
It was really tiring since I was busy at the lab since morning, and only coming home late at night.
I didn't feel like going through the lines and songs, let alone reading for my research.
Matthew on the other hand, was always prepared. He practised his lines, his songs, he was more dedicated than I am!

During rehearsals, everybody was like family.
We would meet each other everyday, take care of each other, ask how was their day, share food, give pointers/suggestions
As the days passed by, we were more close to one another.
We slowly got to know each other's name and what course were they doing, where were they living and so on,  one big happy family.
It reminded me of camps I used to attend during my teenage years. That one was different because we only had 4 days to know each other, and usually the last day is where you get really close with them and then you have to leave.
Maybe this is not true for others, but it is true for an introvert like me.



Soon, we were approaching the day of performance.
Everybody was expected to know their lines and songs by heart, we weren't allowed to hold on to our scripts or scores during rehearsals anymore. If we did, Sergio would be so furious and started nagging us.
There were some conflicts and tension in the atmosphere when the days got closer to the day of performance.
Everybody was just worried that they didn't have enough practice and everybody just wants to do their best.

Luiz rehearsing with Syafiq, Noel and Karmen(hidden)
Assembling the finished backdrop

In the end, we managed to pull it off, we broke our legs.
The first day of performance was the scariest.
I admit I was shivering when I got on stage, I don't think anybody noticed my trembling voice at the beginning and I was speaking quite softly.
It got better after that as I slowly warmed up.
I think we didn't have enough practice; there were technical issues; it was my first time on stage and probably some of them as well; there were so many people in the audience; "Hey ma, look I'm on stage!"
Everybody was just so nervous.
Everytime somebody finished a scene and scurried quickly out of the stage, everybody would congratulate them.
"Good job!"
"Nice one! Well done!"
Everybody was supporting and encouraging each other.
It felt great, a great sense of achievement.

Me, Noel, and Syafiq with the male choir

Pish and Tush first scene


"Do you want to know who we are? We are gentleman of Japan."




After the first day of performance, Sergio reminded us to keep our composure and not lose focus.
He said it was common for performers to become too relaxed and let everything loose after the first day.
True enough, something happened the next day.
Some of us forgotten our lines, some even totally forgotten about their scene, causing the actors and actresses to improvise a few scenes.
It looked normal to the audiences, but backstage we knew that wasn't rehearsed, that was called "improvisation", thinking on the feet, and I think they did really well and managed to pull it off.

The final day of performance was the best.
After putting on a wonderful show for the past 3 days, the last day was just like another walk in the park.
Everybody was so familiar with their songs, scenes and everything.
Also appreciating the fact that it was our last day of performance, we ended the show with a bang.
My family and friends came to support us and I felt really grateful and happy.

I wish to thank everyone, from the bottom of my heart, who were involved in the production of The Mikado.
Directors, actors and actresses, back-stage, make-up, admin and marketing, KLPAC, UNMC, orchestra, my family and friends, and anyone I may have forgotten to include. Thank you.
I would also like to mention that it was a great honour to be able to work with so many talented people. Believe it or not, there were more engineering than arts students in the production, students who has never received any professional training or acted on stage before. I think it is a great achievement for them and myself included. Well done.

I am glad I made new friends
I sincerely apologise if I cannot remember each and everybodies' names




I sang and acted on stage, conquered stage fright
I had a great time acting out Pish




I learnt a lot about the art of performance
I might consider pursuing it further in the future
Script, autographed by Luiz and Sergio

The Mikado was a wonderful experience. It will occupy a tiny fragment of my brain, a memory I will never forget, I will always cherish. In the future, I will look back at this post and the pictures, and I will remember what a good time I had at university.
Who knows what will be the next best thing? Graduating? Getting a job? Getting a girlfriend? Getting married? Striking the lottery so I can retire and shake my legs
I will be ready for it. Bring it on.


Backstage

Backstage

Briefing session

Me and my highschool friends
Everytime after a show, I would look at the audience and see whether I know anyone from the crowd.
I couldn't see well because I wasn't wearing my glasses.
Glad that my friends came to support me, it meant alot.

Pish, Luiz, Tush

Pish Tush and Dr. Sergio

The Mikado(Deevash)!!!

My dog tag

Me and Matthew
Very glad to have him as my partner. Thanks for always being by my side
Thanks for always giving me my cue, for reminding me my lines, and also your other half for the occasional lunch and snacks 



Koko(Syafiq), me, Nanki-Poo(Noel), Wei Yang(male choir)

The choir and casts

collage of pictures involving the casts, choir, makeup people, credits to (sorry I can't remember who), taken from facebook
There was a write up in The Star
Dinner with the principals
Syafiq(Koko), Matthew(Tush), Me(Pish), Deevash(Mikado), Noel(Nanki Poo), Dr. Derek(Pooh Bah), Karmen(Yum yum), Kareema(Katisha), Cherlyn(Pitti Sing), Michelle(Peep Bo) (L-R)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Xcite! Xperience! GO Xcel!!

Musicality

Them Housemates